Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Ginger Soft Cookies and more

The first cookie I think of when people say 'Christmas' is the ginger cookies. They hold a very special place in my heart. It's a delicious place.

These cookies are chewy, soft and flavourful. They are also really really easy to make. I'm eating one right now. For breakfast.
...
I am now on my second breakfast cookie. You should be too.
Picture 014

This is what they look like when they're done! Mmm...

Picture 010
More importantly, this is what they look like before you make them. You know its good when you're recipe card is covered in ten years worth of batter.

Ginger Cookies
This is what they look like after you mix everything, roll them in balls and coat them in sugar. And forget to take pictures of all the steps before that. My bad.

Picture 015
They come out of the oven all puffy and cute. When my mom makes them they stay like that. That's because she uses all the flour the recipe calls for, and doesn't cut the baking soda. I like chewy cookies, not cakey ones so I modified it a bit. You can use whichever you prefer, they taste the same either way.

Picture 011
This is what they look like when they've cooled a bit. And yes, I realise that they ran together. I put them too close together. I knew that would happen, in fact I was sort of counting on it. I have a thing with square cookies, you know they're homemade when they're square. No self respecting cookie manufacturer would have anything less than perfectly round cookies.

Picture 013
Also, I made 8 DOZEN of these babies. I wasn't about to spend my life pulling pans out of the oven, so I put two dozen on each sheet. I'm fantastically lazy like that.

Picture 005
This is a cake I made for my friend Krystyn. This was my first decorating experiance, so judge away. I'm not really into cake... But I decided to try to be. I do weddings too! Wouldn't you love that cake at your wedding? "Congratulations on your Weddingface ___&___!". I hope you like lots and lots of dots. And retina scarring colours.

Picture 001
This is a cookie attempting to eat another cookie. Cannibalism among the cookie population is a serious problem, I'm thinking of printing up flyers and handing them out downtown.  


Picture 002
This is pumpkin pie. But you probably know that already. I made is using THIS recipe, but with a homemade regular pastry crust and no Bourbon. It turned out well. Though the whipped cream had tooooo much vanilla bean and went a little bitter. Next time I think I will just use extract.

Picture 003
This is a french Macaron from the Duchess Bake Shop in Edmonton. Go there, eat one, try not to die of happiness. This one is black licorice flavor which is not for everyone, but definitely for me. I also enjoyed the salted caramel, lemon, and dark chocolate ones I devoured before taking this picture. They have many other flavors as well, such as Lavender, but those are always sold out. ALWAYS.

What were we talking about?

Oh right. These.
Picture 012

Here's the recipe, if you're still here. *Chirp Chirp*


Soft Ginger Cookies 
OR
Lacy Ginger Snaps


3/4 cup butter/margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
4 tbsp molasses
2 cups flour (for chewier cookies I used 1-3/4 cups)
2 tsp soda
Dash of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger (you can crank this up too, honestly these mostly taste like molasses but my favorite "ginger" cookies always do.)
1/4 tsp cloves


Blend together butter with sugar, add the egg and molasses. Mix together all dry ingredients, add to wet. Mix until well combined. You can refrigerate this for a bit if the dough is not workable. Roll into balls and coat with sugar. Place on greased baking sheet (do not flatten!) and bake for 10 minutes. The cracks will form on the surface as they cool. 


Voila! Cookies!













No comments:

Post a Comment