Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Baking and Other Amusements

I baked things today. Lots of things. Approximatly 8 dozen of one and two dozen of another, I'm pretty sure I have been baked into traction.

I sometimes forget I started this blog. But I remembered today, and that's what matters! Though I didn't remember until halfway through baking the last cookies. Sorry about that. I'll try to do better. Or not.

Today's baking is brought to you by The Annual Staff Potluck at my work. For some reason I thought it would be really impressive if I made mini cheesecakes. GLUTEN-FREE mini cheesecakes. Sometimes I over qualify my abilities. I do make a mean cheesecake though, so follow along if you're interested. There's cookies too. Are you following now? How about cake? Cannibal chocolate chips?


Picture 009
This is what happens when you bake lot. I also own a dishwasher. I warned you.

Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake

This is Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake. In mini form! Its even more delicious with the Gluten-free crust I made. I think.
I used the crust recipe from a lovely blog called The Pioneer Woman. I'm sort of in love with her. In a completely platonic way of course, at least that's what I tell myself.

The wonderful part about this is that it's not modified to be gluten-free. Unlike many recipes that are GF, this recipe was not intended as a "replacement product", but more created to be exactly what it is, a pecan crust with chocolate mixed in. Oh and Kahlua. It gives the dessert an earthy taste, and cuts the richness a bit too.
The Pioneer Woman uses it as a base for her Mocha Silk Pie which I definitly did not make yesterday andforgottotakeanypicturesof. She does not bake her crust, but  I did. The melted chocolate holds things together. I also added butter which I'm not sure was wise, but whatever. It was delicious, and it gave me the idea to use this crust with my cheesecakes so some GF people could enjoy cheesecake with me! But not people with nut allergies. Or dairy intolerances (sorry guys). Also I might have added cocoa to the recipe only to find on the label that it might have come in contact with wheat. *SIGH*. I  really have to get better at this.

Lets just get this over with shall we?

Kahlua Chocolate Cheesecake (Semi GF)

Modified from THIS RECIPE (yes, I chose the only Cheesecake recipe to include flour in it. I just left it out. I choose recipes based on the ratio of ingrediants. In this case I wanted a double recipe for easy addimadition and multayplacation. and I had 4 pkgs of cream cheese so this worked out well. Also, it had Kahlua in it which I was planning on adding anyways. FATE.)

Ingrediants

CHEESECAKE
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. Cream cheese (room temp.)
2/3 cups Sugar
2 Eggs
Kahlua to taste
1 cup miniature chocolate chips

CRUST

1 cup Pecans, Finely Chopped/Smashed
3 tbsps Sugar
1 ounce Semi Sweet Chocolate, Grated. OR 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips, Chopped
1 tsp Kahlua
1/4 c melted butter

 
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
 
Make the crust. Combine chopped pecans, sugar, and grated or chopped chocolate. Stir with a fork to combine, add in Kahlua, stirring until combined. Stir in butter. Press mixture into the bottoms of muffin tins, best when lined with foil liners (I used paper and they were fine, though the wrappers do not hold them together well so be careful).


Beat cream cheese, and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. And for the Gods sake put on an apron you slob (I forgot this step). Blend in liquor. I used what was left in my mini $3 bottle after the crust. Melt chocolate chips; add to cream cheese mixture  1/2 a cup at a time, until blended. Place 1 cookie in bottom of 12 paper lined muffin cups. Fill to top with cream cheese mixture. They puff up while baking so do not over-fill. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Let cool in pan then remove to wire rack.

These freeze beautifully. You can garnish them with whatever you like, whipped cream, chocolate shavings, anything.

Stay tuned for Ginger Cookies and more random acts of baking!








No comments:

Post a Comment