Saturday, April 3, 2010

Easter Baking?

I fail at Easter baking.

I couldn't think of anything seasonal that I felt I could make. I'm great with Christmas, Birthdays, Valentines Day, and Halloween, but Easter had me stumped.

I suppose I could've made hot cross buns, but honestly I find them incredibly bland. I could've made some fruit dessert, but as it turns out one of my guests for Easter dinner hates all kind of berries (which is pretty much the only fruit I have at the moment), and my room-mate has a wheat intolerance so that cut out any kind of cake unless I wanted to run to the bulk barn and buy loads and loads of random flours and xanthan gum or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I love to make baking that she (and my mother) can both enjoy, just not at the last minute. I work well with the familiar.

As it turns out my room-mate was going to make a Gluten-Free Vegan Lemon Cake anyways. I felt left out. I'm a baker! I need to bake. Or at least...make dessert. I'm a desserter. How can I make an entire Easter dinner with no Karen's Big Delicious Dessert at the end? I'm very selfish. I love to hear how much people love my baking. I'm crushed when people don't like it. I don't care about cooking, because honestly I'm a horrible cook.

So I cheated. I made Karen's Famous Delicious Dessert That Everyone Loves, But Me.

Yep. It's not even mine. I combined various recipes one of which is from DOUBLE WIDE KITCHEN.

Its the infamous Peanut Butter Marshmellow Squares. Everyone loves them. Okay even I love them. Just not after I've made them for some reason. I think it has something to do with eating all the leftover butterscotch. If I see these at a potluck, they're the first thing I grab. Honestly I think its the bright colours. I'm like a magpie. Maybe I should add edible sparkles or something.

My mother never made these for me, we weren't a sweets family, and these are SWEET. SO I looked them up online a year ago, and it turns out they are the easiest thing to make. ever. Easier than rice krispies.

Watch this.

Karen's Famous Delicious Dessert That Everyone Loves, But Me.


1/2 c Butter
1/2 c to 1 c Peanut Butter (depending on you're love of the stuff. I used 1 cup)
1 package (300g or 12 oz or 1-1/2cups) butterscotch chips
1 bag of brightly coloured marshmallows (not those boring white ones!) 


Melt butter in saucepan. Add everything but the marshmallows, stir until melted over lowlowlow heat. This takes about a minute. Cool for a minute. Stir marshmallows in quickly, pour into lined 9x13 pan. DONEZIES.

Let cool. I keep mine in the freezer. They don't get too solid so you can pull them out, cut off a slice and put them back. That way they last forever. FOREVER. I have a friend who will come over specifically to eat these. Honestly...like the brownies one of these is too much for me. They are so sweet. They hurt my stomach. And my mouth. But they love my soul. Well maybe loves a strong word. But that's all that matters right? We'll see if they go well with Lemon Cake tomorrow :).

No comments:

Post a Comment